Friday 11 May 2018

I quit smoking - cold turkey

Quitting smoking ‘cold turkey’ is when you stop smoking abruptly, without using any quit smoking products or professional support. It is said that cold turkey quitting of smoking (nicotine withdrawal) can trigger a host of physical and psychological symptoms that leaves ex-smokers feeling both physically ill and mentally stressed and anxious. Don't fear nicotine withdrawal, it is temporary. The withdrawal symptoms are: (1) urge to smoke (2) urge to snack (3) sleep disturbances (4) a new cough (5) flu symptoms (6) quit related stress (7) constipation (8) junkie thinking (9) dizziness (10) adjust medications (11) fear of quitting smoking etc. This phase of smoking cessation doesn't last forever and one can learn to manage the discomforts experience. Smoking cessation is worth the efforts it takes to achieve, and the benefits are numerous more than one can imagine. Smoking was attached to everything you did, and once you stop, the advantages touch most aspects of your lives in a positive way.

Although I was moderate to heavy smoker (20-30 per day) for the past 43 years, my quitting experience was very hassle free and free of withdrawal symptoms. 

Smoking started at the age of 18, and now I am 61 retired. Since five years, I am under cardiologist care due to reduced capacity of heart & lungs. I couldn't quit smoking but reduced smoking from 25 to 12 a day. But that reduction didn't help much and my condition remained stable only.

April 19, 2018: Felt breathlessness. Cardiologist diagnosed atrial flutter & pneumonia. 
April 21, 2018: At 5am, gave up smoking.
April 24, 2018: Pulse rate reduced from 155 to 145 only and I was hospitalized.  
April 25, 2018: Shock administered to control heart rate to below 100.
April 26, 2018: Pulmonologist gave anti-biotics for pneumonia.
April 27, 2018: Everything improved dramatically, and was discharged from hospital.
May 11, 2018:  After 3 weeks, smoking stands forgotten. My condition is near excellent.

For unknown reasons, I didn't face any of the withdrawal symptoms. Never I had craving to smoke. My family faced no erratic behavior of mine. Since three  weeks has passed without cigarettes, I am confident that my rest of life would be free from cigarettes and of better quality. However I shall keep my fingers crossed for three months i.e. up to end of July 2018.

Cigarette smoking is the worst of all vices.


I had observed that most smokers pass away in their sixties. My father, a heavy smoker, died of lung cancer at the age of 63 after suffering for 6 months. Probably, having entered 60's, some fear psychosis and desire to live longer might have driven me to quit smoking. Desire driven from inside - quitting smoking is easy.  Good health doesn't extend happy years (child hood) and productive years (working years) but only extend unhappy years - old age years. Let me now discover what is in store for me in coming years! 


No comments:

Post a Comment